Thursday, January 13, 2011

Backpacking through Joshua - Week 1

I'm sitting here, in front of my computer with my bible. Joshua, here I come!!! I am ready for this backpacking - bible study - adventure. The book of Joshua intrigues me. I am not sure why, but maybe it has a little bit to do with my own life and my story...

I am originally from Germany. About 10 years ago, I went on a student exchange to the US. I had never spent a whole year abroad before. And here I was going abroad into a foreign country, where I didn't really know anyone, except maybe for a pen pal... I didn't know if my English would be good enough to get around, I didn't know if I would be able to follow the lectures and courses at the college I enrolled. When I boarded the plane, I didn't know where I would stay when I arrived. The exchange agency had promised to organize housing for me, but I didn't know where it would be, if I would have a roommate. Would she be a nice person? I boarded the plane with 300 other passengers, but I felt incredibly alone...

On that plane ride, somewhere, thousands of feet over the atlantic ocean, between nibbling on airplane peanuts and getting handed earphones from a stewardess, I sent out a prayer to my Lord. I put my life into his hands and I promised to trust in him with my future and I wholeheartedly believed that he would provide for me... wherever my journey would lead me.

I wish I had read the first chapter in the book of Joshua at that point. But even though I roughly knew the story, I had never really read this book of the bible. But it didn't matter. I was living it at that moment.

I often find myself looking back at this first journey to the US, the first days in that foreign country, trying to find my way around. Sometimes, I am a little surprised at all the strength and courage I must have had during that time. But I knew that I wasn't alone. I knew everything would be alright. And it was!

Since then, I have crossed the Atlantic many times. The student exchange turned into grad school and eventually into a job. I still go back and forth to visit friends and family for Christmas and during the summer. I know that I am never alone no matter where I go.

Nowadays, the unknown has taken on different shapes: Will my job contract get renewed at the end of the year? What happens if not? Will I have set enough money aside for when I get old or sick? What if something happens to my parents in Europe while I am in the states?...

Whenever these thoughts cross my mind, I think back at that time on the airplane. I remind myself to trust in God. If we make a new friend and get to know that person, it might take a while before we trust that person. I see it as a big gift and proof of friendship when I trust in a friend or when a friend trusts in me. But with God, the situation is different. Trust in God is not optional. It is not just a nice bonus to a happy life. In Joshua 1:9, it is a command. We don't have to ask God for protection and guidance. We can rest assured that God is with us. We can be strong and courage because he is with us.

Before I left for the states, I got a lot of friends and family members gave me gifts to take with me. But WOW! What a gift I had received from my Lord! I am looking forward to what else this backpacking adventure has in store for me...

3 comments:

  1. Mimi!
    I'm excited to learn you're from Germany- one of my favorite places to visit in all the world!
    What a brave girl you are! So adventurous! Excited to see how God's going to use you on this adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, Mimi! Looking forward to seeing what else God reveals to me through you as we journey together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I am also looking forward to backpacking through Joshua with you! :)

    ReplyDelete